THE CYPRUS MUSEUM

The Cyprus Museum in Lefkosia is the main and largest archaeological museum in Cyprus. Work on the building commenced in 1908 and was completed in 1924, when Cyprus was still a British colony. Several extensions when added later, to reach its present form. A visit throw the collections of the museum provides an opportunity to experience the development of Cyprus’ civilization, from the Neolithic Age to the Early Byzantine period (7th century AD).

Finds from extensive excavations all over the island enrich the museum’s collections and contribute to the development of Cyprus’ archeology and research into the cultural heritage of the Mediterranean. The collections consist of pottery, jewellery, sculpture, coins, copper objects and other artifacts, exhibited in chronological order in the various museum galleries.

Pieces of important artistic as well as archeological and historical value that are typical of Cypriot culture include the cross – shaped idol of the Chalcolithic period, the Early Bronze Age pottery from Vouni, the Late Bronze Age golden jewellery from Egkomi and the 1st century BC statue of Aphrodite of Soloi. The museum is linked to the Aphrodite Cultural Route.

Mouseiou 1, Tel.: 22865854, 22303112

BYSANTINE MUSEUM AND ART GALLERIES

Byzantine Museum

The Byzantine museum contains the richest and most representative collection of Byzantine art in Cyprus. Over 200 icons dating from the 9th to the 19th century, as well as ecclesiastical vessels, robes and books are exhibited in the museum. The 6th century mosaics from the church of Panagia Kanakaria in Lythragkomi are the most impressive of all the exhibits. These mosaics were brought back to Cyprus after having been illegally exported from the occupied part of the island.

Art Galleries

The four galleries of the cultural centre of the archbishop Makarios III foundation exhibit a unique collection of representative works of Western – European art dating from the Renaissance to modern times, as well as Greek and Cypriot masterpieces.Cultural Centre of the Archbishop Makarios III Foundation Archbishop grounds Plateia Archiepiskopou Kyprianou, Tel.: 22430008

NATIONAL STRUGGLE MUSEUM

The museum houses documents, photographs and relevant items of the 1955 – 59 National Liberation Struggle.

Plateia Archiepiskopou Kyprianou, Tel.: 22305878

LEVENTIS MUNICIPAL MUSEUM OF LEFKOSIA

This is the only historical museum of Lefkosia that presents the social and historical development of the city, from the Chalcolithic Age to the present day.

Founded in 1984, it is named after its donor, the Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation, which bought and restored the building. The museum is administered by the Municipality of Nicosia. The collection includes archeological finds, traditional costumes, photographs, medieval pottery, maps, engravings, jewellery and furniture. The museum is linked with the Aphrodite Cultural Route.

Ippokratous 17, Laiki Geitonia, Tel.: 22661475

KOURION ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

A traditional house with superb views over the bay of Agios Ermogenis houses the local Archeological Museum of Kourion.

The exhibits consist of finds from the nearby archeological sites and include red polished ware of the Early Bronze age, pottery and golden jewellery of the Mycenaean era a large number of offerings from the nearby Sanctuary of Apollon Hylates.

Episkopi village, 14km west of Lemesos 4km before reaching Kourion site, Tel.: 25932453

KOURION ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE

Kourion was an important city – kingdom in antiquity and one of the most impressive archeological sites of Cyprus. The magnificent Greco Roman theatre was built in the 2nd century BC and extended in the 2nd century AD. Today the theatre has been completely restored and is used for musical and theatrical performances. Excavations have unearthed the “House of Eustolios”, originally a private villa, which during the Early Christian period was turned in to a public recreation centre. It consists of a complex of baths and rooms with beautiful 5th century AD mosaic floors. The early Christian basilica dates back to the 5th century AD and was probably the Cathedral of Kourion, with separate baptistery on the external northern side. The “House of Achilles” and the “House of the Gladiators” were named after their superb mosaic floors. Other parts of the side include private villas and an impressive Nymphaeum, dedicated to water nymphs. The Stadium lies 1km to the west, on the right side of the road towards Pafos. A roof structure allows visitors to enjoy the site all year round.

19km west of Lemesos on the road to Pafos, Tel.: 25934250

LARNAKA FORT DISTRICT MEDIEVAL MUSEUM

Originally built during the Middle Ages, the Fort took its present form during Ottoman rule. After the end of the Ottoman rule in Cyprus, the British converted it into a prison during the first years of their rule. Today the Fort houses the District Medieval Museum, whose collection covers 15 centuries of history, from early Christian period to the 19th century. The open – courtyard is used in the summer for functions by the Larnaka Municipality.

Leoforos Athinon Larnaka seafront Tel.: 24304576

Add Your Comment